• Yiddish phrase. exclamation of surprise, incredulity, or simply used to emphasize a statement. often used when kvetching. alt. spelling: oy gevaldt

Oy gevalt meaning & definition 1 of Oy gevalt.

• A yiddish term meaning Oh goodness! An expression of utmost anxiety or shock.

Oy gevalt meaning & definition 2 of Oy gevalt.

• Like most Yiddish expressions, this is Mediaeval Low German. In Modern German it would be spelled Ach! Gewalt! Gewalt is a word that means strength or force, But in this context means violence.
    I see others referring to the Yiddish expression oy vay zmir. Again, in Modern German, Ach! Weh ist mir!, literally, oh, woe is [unto] me! In all 3 cases, the pronoun is in the Dative case, which usage has long since vanished in English, except in antique sayings such as this.

Oy gevalt meaning & definition 3 of Oy gevalt.

• A Yiddish expression of alarm.

Oy gevalt meaning & definition 4 of Oy gevalt.

• Oy vey zmir... that doesnt say much either, but its a yiddish phrase, and you can not really translate yiddish to english. The best defintion would be oh boy or oh my gosh!

Oy gevalt meaning & definition 5 of Oy gevalt.

• Yiddish: Oh help!!!!

Oy gevalt meaning & definition 6 of Oy gevalt.

Similar Words

What is Define Dictionary Meaning?

Define Dictionary Meaning is an easy to use platform where anyone can create and share short informal definition of any word.
Best thing is, its free and you can even contribute without creating an account.

This page shows you usage and meanings of Oy gevalt around the world.