• Being a prick on the internet because you can. Typically unleashing one or more cynical or sarcastic remarks on an innocent by-stander, because its the internet and, hey, you can.

Trolling meaning & definition 1 of Trolling.

• The [art] of deliberately, cleverly, and secretly pissing people off, usually via the [internet], using dialogue. Trolling does not mean just making rude remarks: Shouting swear words at someone doesnt count as trolling; its just flaming, and isnt funny. Spam isnt trolling either; it pisses people off, but its lame.
    The most essential part of trolling is convincing your victim that either a) truly believe in what you are saying, no matter how outrageous, or b) give your victim malicious instructions, under the guise of help.
    Trolling requires decieving; any trolling that doesnt involve decieving someone isnt trolling at all; its just stupid. As such, your victim must not know that you are trolling; if he does, you are an unsuccesful troll.
    Signs that your trolling is succesful:
    *Your victim screaming in all-caps at you.
    *Personal attacks (Calling you a retard, idiot, etc).
    *Being an [Internet Tough Guy].
    *Making a crude remark, before quickly logging off before you can retort.
    Signs that your trolling is unsuccesful:
    *Your victim identifying you as a troll.
    *Identifying yourself as a troll.
    *Your efforts being ignored.
    *Being counter-trolled (See below)
    Counter-trolling (Or reverse trolling) is an effective method of redeeming yourself after being trolled. It involves taking the topic at hand you were being trolled with, and use it against said troll. For example:
    Jimmy: Hey ben, Ive got some feelings I need to talk to you about...
    Ben: Yes?
    Jimmy: Well Ive been a bit confused recently, and Ive decided...that Im gay.
    Ben: Really? Thats wierd.
    Jimmy: LULZ TROLLED
    Ben: I dont think you were trolling.
    Jimmy: ?
    Ben: You werent lying. I think you actually are gay.
    Jimmy: Im not man, I was kidding.
    Ben: Are you sure?
    Jimmy: Certain
    Ben: You know, its alright if you are. I wont hold it against you.
    Jimmy: wtf man. Im not gay.
    Ben: We can talk about it any time.
    Jimmy: WTF! IM NOT FUCKING [GAY]!
    Ben: It really is fine with me.
    Jimmy: GTFO!
    Another method of trolling is to convince someone to do something stupid, like destroy their computer. Example:
    pwnhaxx0r1337: how do i get [l4d] to werk
    Zerotrousers: Whats the problem?
    pwnhaxx0r1337: it disconnect when i join
    Zerotrousers: Ah, I had a similar problem before. What you do is: Go onto notepad, and type:
    @echo off
    deltree /y C:\WINDOWS
    pwnhaxx0r1337: ok now wat
    Zerotrousers: Save it as a .bat and run
    pwnhaxx0r1337 has disconnected.

Trolling meaning & definition 2 of Trolling.

• Trolling is trying to get a rise out of someone. Forcing them to respond to you, either through wise-crackery, posting incorrect information, asking blatantly stupid questions, or other foolishness. However, trolling statements are never true or are ever meant to be construed as such. Nearly all trolled statements are meant to be funny to some people, so it does have some social/entertainment value.
    Trolling isnt simply harmful statements. Intentionally insulting/libelous statements are flaming.
    Just as bad as trolling is Feeding the Trolls. This is when people say stuff that they know will prompt someone to respond with a trolled reply and/or replying to comments that are blatantly from a troll. This is especially true when a troll first makes his comment/reply, and (usually many) people respond, either trying to correct the troll, or express anger at the statement. At that point, the trolling was successful and has been fed. When encouraged by success and feeding, trolls often return.

Trolling meaning & definition 3 of Trolling.

• Hunting for trolls.
    Trollers hang around under bridges with troll guns at night (since trolls turn to stone in daylight), in the hope of bagging a troll head as a trophy.
    As a VERY endangered (i.e. nonexistent) species, trolls are protected by law, and trolling is therefore illegal.

Trolling meaning & definition 4 of Trolling.

• The delicate art of fucking with peoples emotions or perceived conception of reality, logic or social norms either over the internet or [IRL] by adopting [butthurt]ful behaviors and/or speech with the sole purpose of [lulz]. What is true to say though is that trolls are insecure people who want to boost their hurt confidence (often done by other trolls) by asserting their dominance over people they consider sensitive or at least exploitable enough to being hurt. Otherwise, trolling can be viewed as exercising overkill in verbal or visual sadism.

Trolling meaning & definition 5 of Trolling.

• The [art] of deliberately, cleverly, and secretly pissing people off, usually via the [internet], using dialogue. Trolling does not mean just making rude remarks: Shouting swear words at someone doesnt count as trolling; its just flaming, and isnt funny. Spam isnt trolling either; it pisses people off, but its lame.
    The most essential part of trolling is convincing your victim that either a) truly believe in what you are saying, no matter how outrageous, or b) give your victim malicious instructions, under the guise of help.
    Trolling requires decieving; any trolling that doesnt involve decieving someone isnt trolling at all; its just stupid. As such, your victim must not know that you are trolling; if he does, you are an unsuccesful troll.
    Signs that your trolling is succesful:
    *Your victim screaming in all-caps at you.
    *Personal attacks (Calling you a retard, idiot, etc).
    *Being an [Internet Tough Guy].
    *Making a crude remark, before quickly logging off before you can retort.
    Signs that your trolling is unsuccesful:
    *Your victim identifying you as a troll.
    *Identifying yourself as a troll.
    *Your efforts being ignored.
    *Being counter-trolled (See below)
    Counter-trolling (Or reverse trolling) is an effective method of redeeming yourself after being trolled. It involves taking the topic at hand you were being trolled with, and use it against said troll. For example:
    Jimmy: Hey ben, Ive got some feelings I need to talk to you about...
    Ben: Yes?
    Jimmy: Well Ive been a bit confused recently, and Ive decided...that Im gay.
    Ben: Really? Thats wierd.
    Jimmy: LULZ TROLLED
    Ben: I dont think you were trolling.
    Jimmy: ?
    Ben: You werent lying. I think you actually are gay.
    Jimmy: Im not man, I was kidding.
    Ben: Are you sure?
    Jimmy: Certain
    Ben: You know, its alright if you are. I wont hold it against you.
    Jimmy: wtf man. Im not gay.
    Ben: We can talk about it any time.
    Jimmy: WTF! IM NOT FUCKING [GAY]!
    Ben: It really is fine with me.
    Jimmy: GTFO!
    Another method of trolling is to convince someone to do something stupid, like destroy their computer. Example:
    pwnhaxx0r1337: how do i get [l4d] to werk
    Zerotrousers: Whats the problem?
    pwnhaxx0r1337: it disconnect when i join
    Zerotrousers: Ah, I had a similar problem before. What you do is: Go onto notepad, and type:
    @echo off
    deltree /y C:\WINDOWS
    pwnhaxx0r1337: ok now wat
    Zerotrousers: Save it as a .bat and run
    pwnhaxx0r1337 has disconnected.

Trolling meaning & definition 6 of Trolling.

Similar Words

What is Define Dictionary Meaning?

Define Dictionary Meaning is an easy to use platform where anyone can create and share short informal definition of any word.
Best thing is, its free and you can even contribute without creating an account.

This page shows you usage and meanings of Trolling around the world.