• A Goth is, loosely speaking, one who decides to separate from the mainstream culture for varying reasons (such as dissatisfaction with modern society, a will to be different, or just a liking to the styles whether it be music or visual or social).
    Goths are not defined as someone who slashes their own wrists or sets fires to schools, that is what is called a [masochist], [vandal] or [sadist]. A Goth, in modern society, is merely a lifestyle.
    Although their image and demeanor consistently appears cold and reclusive, this is but a shell and Goths are more commonly found to be nicer than the average stranger, due to their tendency to have intellectual/educated backgrounds, and artistic divulgences including the visual arts and musical talents.
    A pure Goth epitomizes [beauty] not in the way that you would say wowzers she is A BEAUTY, but in the way that the ideal Goth strives for clear skin and pure complexion; the dark hair and garb serves to enhance the fair complexion of pure skin.
    People carrying Gothic qualities does not relate whatsoever to their personality and/or attitudes towards other people, rather, their attitudes towards the many forms of art, community, and individuality.

As you can probably tell by now, I myself am a Goth. And a Christian (strange combination you say? shrugs). I dont cut myself, I dont swear, I dont think offensively of other people of all shapes and sizes (and colours et cetera) but I strive to be Me in a world where everyone and everything is just a copy of a copy of a copy..
    There is freedom of speech, there is freedom of personality, and a natural Goth embraces the freedom of image.

Goths meaning & definition 1 of Goths.

• I. The [Gothic personality].
    Generally speaking, [true Goths] are intelligent, artistic individuals with an almost fanatic reverence for the arts and all types of beauty. Many Goths possess certain qualities prior to their initial identification with the subculture or even their knowledge that it exists; some of these qualities include thoughtfulness, creativity, intelligence, shyness, and an introspective nature.
    II. The Gothic philosophy.
    I will strive to sum this up in as few words as possible. The Gothic subculture is based on the idea of finding beauty and light in all those things dark, grotesque, tragic, and sorrowful. The seeming fixation with Death is an example of this; Goths embrace things that cause fear and revulsion in mainstream society, because in truth they are no less beautiful than their daylight counterparts.
    If any among you wishes to further enlighten him or herself, I suggest the study of old Gothic literature, the very best of which is exemplified in the works of Dante, Shelley, Byron, [Lovecraft], and Poe.
    III. Gothic music.
    The term Gothic was, to my knowledge, first used to describe the emerging subculture by the band Joy Division in the late 70s. Along with Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, [The Sisters of Mercy], and The Cure, this band helped establish Gothic as a musical genre. The Gothic sound is characterized by dark, brooding, [strange music] that can sound [cacophonous] to the uninitiated. Some other notable Goth bands include [Switchblade Symphony], Dead Can Dance, This [Mortal Coil], and [Christian Death]. By the way, bands that are widely mislabeled as being Gothic, yet are NOT, include (to name a few): Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails, [Type O Negative], Evanescence.
    IV. Gothic attire.
    Most people know that Goths favor black if they know anything at all. There are so many different styles of dress among Goths that I dare not attempt a complete list; here are some of the most commonly worn materials and articles of clothing among Goths: velvet, silk, fishnet stockings, PVC, [brocade], lace, LOTS of boots, things with buckles, dark jewel tones such as purple and wine colored garments, gloves, very high heels, band T-shirts, chokers, corsets. Many Goths, especially the old-school Goths, will tease their hair mercilessly with crimpers and hairspray to achieve an Edward Scissorhands type of effect. Hair dye is, of course, widely used. Traditional Gothic makeup consists of stark-white powder, and black or dark eyeliner and lipstick. Men and women both have a tendency to pluck their eyebrows nearly out of existence, and then draw them back in. It goes without saying that a person who looks like this is not necessarily a Goth. This aesthetic, however, is an intrinsic part of the subculture and cannot be disregarded for its superficiality; Goths tend to thrive on [artifice] anyway.
    V. Miscellaneous Information.
    Goths are commonly found passing their free time in small coffee houses, book shops, art galleries, Gothic clubs, and, of course, cemeteries. Many Goths smoke; clove cigarettes are very popular with our crowd. Drugs of choice for those Goths who wish to indulge in the vice may include Speed, LSD, Alcohol, Ecstasy, and the like...I applaud those who abstain from drug use, for they have greater strength than my own. Goths frequently enjoy movies and television shows such as The Rocky Horror Picture Show, The Hunger, Nosferatu, and The [Addams Family]. Goths do NOT eat bugs and drink blood; we eat Cheerios just like everyone else.
    I myself have been a part of the subculture for a mere two years-- I am by no means a veteran of the Scene, but my passion for it is great and grows continuously. I hope that this definition has been useful. To know more, I suggest The Autumn Cemetery Text (available online... google it).

Goths meaning & definition 2 of Goths.

• The word Goth has been used to describe several things over the years many of which are completely idiotic, whereas others are completely legitimate but surprising nonetheless.
    A) The original Goths were an ancient East Germanic Scandinavia tribe. The Goths eventually split into two groups after migrating towards the [Baltic Sea]: The Visigoths and The Ostrogoths.
    Though at one point in time the term Goth was used to describe barbarians (as that is what The Visigoths were famous for) that term is no longer used. Another import fact; neither the Visigoths or the Ostrogoths had their own religion, they were Germanic paganism and [Arianism]. Implication: Goth is not a religion.
    Goth was also an old architectural style which began in the 12th century. (An example of this style is St. Denis Abbey or Westminster Abbey)
    C) Goth can also used to describe literature. Gothic literature was dark romantic dating back to the 1700s. Two of the possibly most notable authors from the time were [Edgar Allen Poe], and [Mary Shelley].
    D) The most common usage of the word Goth however is the description of a fan of Goth Rock and a member of the subculture. The subculture began primarily with the release of [Bela Lugosis] Dead by [Bauhaus] though some [beg to differ] and say bands such as Joy Division and The Mission outdate Bauhaus. To belong to the gothic subculture appreciation of the music is essential, while there is more to the subculture than just the music, many people fail to realize that someone fashion choice or attitude does not necessarily make them Goth.

Goths meaning & definition 3 of Goths.

• [Goths]. If any of the people who wrote the above negative defenitions have actually ever even talked to a goth, then i would be greatly surprised. There are many types of goths. There are:
    Perky-goths
    Metal-heads
    Rivet-heads
    Cyber-goths
    Trad-goths
    Metallers
    [Grungers]
    God-Knows-what
    Pure-Norwegian-black-death-metallers
    non-goths (wannabees)
    Fetishers
    You will know at least one or more of the above. Perky-Goths are the most widely known Goths in the Gothic culture these people are always happy and are also generally the ones who get stereotyped. Metal-Heads and rivet-heads are basically the same apart from the fact that metal-heads are much more agressive than [rivet] heads. It is hard to determine between a [Cyber-Goth] and a Candy-raver. The only difference is that Cyber-Goths listen to slightly heavier music. Trad-Goths are a dying breed. They are mostly made-up the remenants of the Romantic-Goths form the 80s. These are the people who you associate with the stereo-typical goth (e.g. The people who think theyre [Vampires] and only come out at night).
    Metallers come along in the same [catagory] as metal-heads and rivet-heads. Grungers are more associated with skaters. They generally listen to Nirvana and Alice-in-chains. Never get these people along with metal-heads, rivet-heads or metallers, they will start the biggest [mosh pit] seen to man.
    God-knows-whats are the people who you cannot put into a catagory. These people are not easy to find but look hard enogh, and youll find them. Pure-Norwegian-black-death-metallers, probably the most frightening people you will ever come across.
    Non-Goths are mainly people who think they are goth bacause they listen to Sum 41 or H.I.M and they follow the Gothic Fashion - wear all black, only come out at night think theyre [vampires] [et cetera]... but they only do this to impress or scare the general public. During the day theyre Normals.
    Fetishers are the people who wear P.V.C [non stop], even if its [90 degrees] outside. Also closely linked with Cyber-Goths.
    Finally i would just like to say that there are many more types of [goths] than this. These are just a few examples. So, next time you want to ridicule [one of us], [take a step back] and think about what you are saying before you say it.

Goths meaning & definition 4 of Goths.

• goths are just people like everyone else and just because were not what others think is normal were suppsoed to be some kind of freaks. we dont drink blood,we [dont hate] everything, and yes [believe it or not] we do laugh!
    we [dont do it] for attenton, we do it because we are individuals.we are just people who like different things,and we dont need any other groups making us feel like were lower than them. just because they are small minded idiots that clearly have nothing better to do with there life but to make others feel stupid just because were different. whatever u are u have a right to be it.so ignore anyone else that tries to be clever by shouting dumb stuff at u.

Goths meaning & definition 5 of Goths.

• Goth is not a label. Goth is a real culture that expresses the beauty in darkness and morbidity. Goths usually wear all black, the color of their soul. They dont just wear anything black, the black clothes are more unique and elegant. Some Goths go beyond the black clothes and they wear thick eyeliner and [black lipstick]. Some make their faces white like a ghost and dye their hair unnatural colors. Goths can be Satan worshippers, Atheists, Christians, Pagans, Wiccans, or any religion. There are some people who give Goths a bad name and other Goths call them posers, but that is simply not true. In a garden, though some vegetables may be rotten, that doesnt mean they arent vegetables. And as for Goths and [non-conformity], what does Goth have to do with non-conformity??? If people join the Gothic Culture just because they want to be non-conformists then that is a very bad reason to become Gothic. People can be Gothic and still be individuals. Im a Goth and Im also an individual and I dont try to be different because [there isnt any] point in it. And Goths arent all attention seekers. Many of us just feel comfortable looking a certain way, even if we have thick eyeliner and black lipstick, a [pale face], and [green hair]. Not all Goths are angst-filled morons who have their mind set on blowing up their school. Alot of Goths dont even go to school; there are many adult Goths as well as teens. And I hate the word poser. People call other Goths posers to make themselves feel good. Its name calling, thats all it is, and its very [puerile]. Calling someone a poser is definitely a form of bullying and it needs to be stopped.

Goths meaning & definition 6 of Goths.

• I hate all you steriotpyical bastards! I am gothic, I do not hate everyone. I DO NOT WEAR MAKE UP! I do not think im a vampire, i do not worship satin, i do not hate people because they dont dress goth i do not hate preps just because they are preps. People just see a kid wearing all black clothes and chains and stuff like that and they all think omfg! its a [santin] [worshiper]! thats really dumb. Because all the goths I know are WAY cooler and nicer than the [prepy] kids I know. So stop being so god damn steriotypical before i go GOTHIC on you and suck your blood!

Goths meaning & definition 7 of Goths.

• Goth is a kind of cultural movement, or anti-cultural even. They do not drink blood or sacrafice small children, nor do they eat [bats] and wear [pvc] and pale make up all the time.
    [Goths] separate themselves from popular trends and [fads] only to find that goth itself is becoming a trend fast, [goths] arent what they used to be.

Goths meaning & definition 8 of Goths.

Similar Words

What is Define Dictionary Meaning?

Define Dictionary Meaning is an easy to use platform where anyone can create and share short informal definition of any word.
Best thing is, its free and you can even contribute without creating an account.

This page shows you usage and meanings of Goths around the world.