• Nearest; next immediately preceding or following. Proximateancestors. J. S. Harford.The proximate natural causes of it [the deluge]. T. Burnet.Proximate analysis (Chem.), an analysis which determines theproximate principles of any substance, as contrasted with an ultimateanalysis.-- Proximate cause. (a) A cause which immediately precedes andproduces the effect, as distinguished from the remote, mediate, orpredisposing cause. I. Watts. (b) That which in ordinary naturalsequence produces a specific result, no independent disturbingagencies intervening.-- Proximate principle (Physiol. Chem.), one of a class of bodiesexisting ready formed in animal and vegetable tissues, and separableby chemical analysis, as albumin, sugar, collagen, fat, etc.

Proximate meaning & definition 1 of Proximate.

• [prox]· i· mate | \ˈprä[k-s]ə-mət \ 1) A person you mate with who is close to you by [kinship] or in some other way. 2) A person who mates with you on behalf of another, i.e. a proxy mate.

Proximate meaning & definition 2 of Proximate.

• (especially of the cause of something) closest in relationship; immediate.

Proximate meaning & definition 3 of Proximate.

Similar Words

What is Define Dictionary Meaning?

Define Dictionary Meaning is an easy to use platform where anyone can create and share short informal definition of any word.
Best thing is, its free and you can even contribute without creating an account.

This page shows you usage and meanings of Proximate around the world.