• Vatican Cameos is a phrase used in BBCs Sherlock when Sherlock is about to open Irene Adlers safe. The phrase first originated in World War 2. It was used when a non-military person, who was armed (gun or knife) entered a British military base. The phrase was a signal for everyone duck out of the line of fire. Sherlock knew that John, being a military man, would recognise this phrase and duck out of the way of the gun in the safe. It is not a code phrase which Sherlock and John coordinated as a safe word. Very clever, dont you think?

Vatican cameos meaning & definition 1 of Vatican cameos.

• In the [Sherlock Holmes] books it refers to one of [Sir Arthur Conan Doyle]s stories, in which he refers to another case Sherlock worked on to do with some Vatican Cameos.
    In the case of [BBC Sherlock] it is code for duck, as in get out of the way. It probably refers to another case [Sherlock] and [Watson] worked on not shown in an episode, in which only Watson knows to duck out of the way of, in this case, an oncoming bullet. Most usually used by [Cumberbitches].

Vatican cameos meaning & definition 2 of Vatican cameos.

• In the [Sherlock Holmes] books it refers to one of [Sir Arthur Conan Doyle]s stories, in which he refers to another case Sherlock worked on to do with some Vatican Cameos.
    In the case of [BBC Sherlock] it is code for duck, as in get out of the way. It probably refers to another case [Sherlock] and [Watson] worked on not shown in an episode, in which only Watson knows to duck out of the way of, in this case, an oncoming bullet. Most usually used by [Cumberbitches].

Vatican cameos meaning & definition 3 of Vatican cameos.

• @Britney That is ridiculous. Rather than make up something as far fetched as that, it seems much simpler to assume this is a reference to one of Doyle’s tantalizing unseen cases.
    Perhaps, in your eagerness to oblige His Holiness, you have lost sight of the obvious?

Vatican cameos meaning & definition 4 of Vatican cameos.

• @PussyCat except it isn't far fetched. That's what it means and where its from

Vatican cameos meaning & definition 5 of Vatican cameos.

• @Guest except its not far-fetched. That's what it means and where it is from.

Mods, i @ed the wrong user on the first pass, please delete the other

Vatican cameos meaning & definition 6 of Vatican cameos.

• I think it's simpler than Jon's a soldier.
    I think it is that it's a British phrase that the American gunmen wouldn't know but both Irene and Jon would react. Obviously Irene knows about the boobie trap but it was more of a NOW! Type of thing for her.

Vatican cameos meaning & definition 7 of Vatican cameos.

• She got it right. The phrase is still used. I was briefed on it when I worked with the British (Coldstream and 2nd Rifles).

Vatican cameos meaning & definition 8 of Vatican cameos.

Similar Words

What is Define Dictionary Meaning?

Define Dictionary Meaning is an easy to use platform where anyone can create and share short informal definition of any word.
Best thing is, its free and you can even contribute without creating an account.

This page shows you usage and meanings of Vatican cameos around the world.