• Particularly useful piece of English [punctuation] for making yourself look [stupid]. You can do this in three main ways:

1. Putting an apostrophe in when it's completely unnecessary.
    2. Leaving it out when it's needed.
    3. Putting it in the wrong place.

Apostrophe meaning & definition 1 of Apostrophe.

• A [punctuation] mark often erroneously used to [indicate] Beware of oncoming S! as in [Apples] 3 for .

Apostrophe meaning & definition 2 of Apostrophe.

• The most overused and underappreciated punctuation mark utilized in the writing of the English language. It is used to indicate the [omission] of a letter (elision) or letters in a word, to connect words pronounced successively (contraction), or to indicate possession.
    Alternatively, and much less contemporary, is the use of the term apostrophe to indicate a short address by a character in a play or poem to an absent party or an inanimate object. [The apostrophe] in this sense allows the audience a look into the speakers thoughts toward a person or object that cannot respond (similar to a [soliloquy]).

Apostrophe meaning & definition 3 of Apostrophe.

• The highly [unlikely], yet considerably dangerous state in which both [the apocalypse], and a [catastrophe], are simultaniously occuring.

Apostrophe meaning & definition 4 of Apostrophe.

• a rather fine song, from a rather fine album of the same name, by [Frank] Zappa- [Jack Bruce] played [bass] on much of it...

Apostrophe meaning & definition 5 of Apostrophe.

• Not a piece of urban slang at all, but an important punctuation mark in written English, which I pride myself on knowing how to use correctly.
    However, in my definition for [Stoke-on-Trent], I have noticed that I made an error and put one in where it didnt belong ([story of my life]...).
    Therefore, Im putting this in to make myself feel better.
    Wow, [what a waste] of your time if you read all that! Sorry!

Apostrophe meaning & definition 6 of Apostrophe.

• just a symbol to remind you [that theres] more to see, just a product of [the system], a [catastrophe]

Apostrophe meaning & definition 7 of Apostrophe.

Similar Words

What is Define Dictionary Meaning?

Define Dictionary Meaning is an easy to use platform where anyone can create and share short informal definition of any word.
Best thing is, its free and you can even contribute without creating an account.

This page shows you usage and meanings of Apostrophe around the world.