• The quality of stating concepts one wishes or believes to be true, rather than the facts.

Origin: Stephen Colbert, The Colbert Report, 2005

And that brings us to tonights word: truthiness.

Now Im sure some of the Word Police, the [wordanistas] over at [Websters], are gonna say, Hey, thats not a word. Well, anybody who knows me knows that Im no fan of dictionaries or reference books. Theyre elitist. Constantly telling us what is or isnt true, or what did or didnt happen. Whos Britannica to tell me [the Panama Canal] was finished in 1914? If I wanna say it happened in 1941, thats my right. I dont trust books. Theyre all fact, no heart.

Truthiness meaning & definition 1 of Truthiness.

• The concept that a persons [perception] and how they feel about things supersedes fact

The complete [disregard] for any body of evidence or advice from the scientific community when [contesting] facts

Negation of events or information widely accepted to be true

Truthiness meaning & definition 2 of Truthiness.

• [Stephen Colbert] defines truthiness as The quality by which one purports to know something emotionally or instinctively, without [regard] to evidence or intellectual [examination].

Truthiness meaning & definition 3 of Truthiness.

• According to an interview [Stephen Colbert] gave on [60 minutes], he defined it this way:
    [Truthiness] is what you want the facts to be, as opposed to what the facts are. What feels like the right answer, as opposed to what reality will support.

Truthiness meaning & definition 4 of Truthiness.

• An [opinion] of [what is] true, unincumbered by the [facts]

Truthiness meaning & definition 5 of Truthiness.

Similar Words

What is Define Dictionary Meaning?

Define Dictionary Meaning is an easy to use platform where anyone can create and share short informal definition of any word.
Best thing is, its free and you can even contribute without creating an account.

This page shows you usage and meanings of Truthiness around the world.