• Technically, an American is someone from the Americas - i.e. North or South America. However, it is so commonly referring to people from the USA that we'll just ignore that point for now.

An American is someone who lives in the USA. Not all americans are overweight, ignorant pricks with an addiction to burgers and flag waving. Some of them are actually friendly, intelligent people!

Remember, kids: just because meet or hear one person from a certain place doesn't mean that everyone from there is like it. Oh, and did I mention that the actions of the US government don't ALWAYS speak unanimously for every last citizen of the USA? Just wanted to clear that up.

They do think some wierd things, though.. They call football soccer, American football football, aluminium aloominum, jam jelly and so on. But belittling them for differences like that would be a bit petty of me, wouldn't it?

American meaning & definition 1 of American.

• Probablly the most bashed on country in the world.
    Things you should know:

1. Yes, we are aware the term American can be used for anyone living in North or South America. The term British can be used for someone from Scottland, Ireland, or England. What else do you want us to call ourselves, United-Statesians? Besides, I don't see you calling people from Brazil or Argentina or Cuba American anyways. Why should we?

2. Yes, we are aware our President shows serious signs of mental retardation. All goverments have their problems.

3. We're not stupid. We don't go around speaking American, laughing at all other American speaking countries thinking they stole the idea from us.

4. We're not all crazy extremists or blind conservatives.

5. Your country probally produces almost as much pollution as ours, and seeing as the US is about 3,718,695 cm2 (9,631,420 km2; gasp! an American knowing about the metric system? unheard of!) large and has 302,431,000 citizens, we're not doing that bad.

6. Celsuis- Farheniet, Meters- feet, Pounds- killograms. Gallons- liters. We use both you know.

7. We don't hate all Canadians, Brits, Cubans, and Japaneese people. We don't think all Muslims are terrorists. No matter what Bush says, we most definitely don't eat freedom

American meaning & definition 2 of American.

• legal resident of the United States; not really a nationality since everybody came here from somewhere else

American meaning & definition 3 of American.

• Relating to or characteristic of the United States or its inhabitants.

American meaning & definition 4 of American.

Similar Words

What is Define Dictionary Meaning?

Define Dictionary Meaning is an easy to use platform where anyone can create and share short informal definition of any word.
Best thing is, its free and you can even contribute without creating an account.

This page shows you usage and meanings of American around the world.