• Square brackets are most commonly used around the word sic (from the Latin sicut, meaning just as), to explain the status of an apparent mistake. Generally, sic means the foregoing mistake (or apparent mistake) was made by the writer/speaker I am quoting; I am but the faithful messenger; in fact I never get anything wrong myself. Book reviewers in particular adore to use sic. It makes them feel terrific, because what it means is that theyve spotted this apparent mistake, thank you, so there is no point in writing in. However, there are distinctions within sic: it can signify two different things:

This isnt a mistake, actually, it just looks like one to the casual eye.
    Tee hee, what a dreadful error! But it would be dishonest of me to correct it.

~ From Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss

null meaning & definition 1 of null.

• (sic) (Latin for thus) is a bracketed expression used to indicate that an unusual spelling, phrase, or any other preceding quoted material is intended to be read or printed exactly as shown (rather than being an error) and should not be corrected. When found in a French document, (sic) stands for Sans Intention Comique (without comic intention) meaning that even if the preceding text could be understood as funny, it was not meant to be. It is used by writers quoting someone to alert the reader to the fact that an error or other weirdness in the quoted material is in the original, and not an error of transcription. Sic is almost always enclosed in parentheses.
    A simple way to remember what it means is to consider sic as a pnemonic for spelt in context.

null meaning & definition 2 of null.

• Used in lieu of attack, and used in association with the aggressive actions of someone or something, especially a dog.

null meaning & definition 3 of null.

• From Latin sicut which means something like it was this way, like that, exactly this way.
    Its usually used in the bracket in the text besides the word which could be recognized as written in the wrong way;
    Mostly used to a quoted spelling mistake, implying for the reader that it isnt our mistake, but it was this way in the original.

null meaning & definition 4 of null.

• Sleep In Car drunk.

When you think youre good to drive, and end up waking up to the sunrise in your reclined seat.

null meaning & definition 5 of null.

• null meaning & definition 6 of null.

Similar Words

What is Define Dictionary Meaning?

Define Dictionary Meaning is an easy to use platform where anyone can create and share short informal definition of any word.
Best thing is, its free and you can even contribute without creating an account.

This page shows you usage and meanings of null around the world.